Collection of Your Personal Information
We may collect personal information in connection with your use of the Website or with your use or purchase of the Company’s products and services, which may include personal information provided in connection with the following activities:
- Registering or filling in forms on the Website. This includes information you may provide when you request additional information about the Company’s products and services or sign up to receive the Company’s e-mail newsletters or coupons
- Purchasing any product or service from the Company;
- Reviewing a product or service;
- Requesting information or assistance from the Company. The Company may also keep a copy of any communications or correspondence you may send to it, including any e-mail communications;
- Registering for an account; and
The personal information that we may collect may include your name, username, password, email address, age, date of birth, gender, telephone number, address, personal preferences, product and service reviews, your location, your past and current investment practices, your residency status, your investment capacity and preferences and any other personal information that you choose to include in your profile, your User Submissions (as defined in the Terms and Conditions), or in other communications to the Company. We may combine personal and non-personal information about you collected by us or by our affiliates and we may combine this information with information from external sources.
In obtaining your consent to collect, use, maintain, retain, transfer and disclose your personal information we will use reasonable efforts to inform you of the purpose for which personal information will be collected, used, maintained, retained, transferred or disclosed. The form of consent may vary depending on the circumstances and type of information disclosed. We will take into account the sensitivity of the personal information and your reasonable expectations when determining the appropriate form of consent.
You may voluntarily submit personal information to us for purposes such as asking a question, obtaining information, participating in a seminar or other event, reviewing or downloading a publication, purchasing a product or service, subscribing to a newsletter or a mail or e-mail list and participating in contests and surveys. If you are a registered user on the Website, we may combine and store personal information about your use of the Website and information you have provided to us with certain other online and offline information we may have collected.
We may send you marketing or promotional e-mail communications. In this process, we may collect certain information such as the date and time you first opened our e-mail communications, the number of times you open our e-mail communications, the number of instances you click through our articles and your total click-through activity on the contents of our e-mail communications. We may also combine and store any such information to manage and improve our e-mail communications. If you no longer wish to receive any future marketing or promotional material from us, our promotional e-mail communications will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of your preferences.
We may include links to other websites on the Website or in our e-mail communications. These third-party websites may collect your personal information and they may have different privacy policies and practices than us. We do not assume any responsibility for the privacy practices, policies or actions of the third parties operating these third-party websites. We strongly encourage you to read the privacy policies of these websites to enable you to make an informed decision whether or not to provide your personal information to these websites’ operators.
Protection of Your Personal Information
To: (a) prevent unauthorized access to, or disclosure of, personal information; (b) maintain data accuracy; and (c) facilitate the appropriate use of your personal information; we use physical, technological and administrative procedures to protect your personal information that we collect from loss, unauthorized access, modification, unauthorized disclosure or other misuse. Nevertheless, internet or wireless transmissions are never completely private or secure. You understand that any messages, content or information you send or submit through the Website may be read or intercepted by others. If you have any questions about the security of your personal information collected by us, please contact the Company’s Privacy Officer at the address below.
Use of Your Personal Information
Once we collect your personal information, we may use such personal information internally, separately or in combination with any pre-existing information, for the following purposes:
- To develop, enhance, market, sell or otherwise provide information, products or services;
- To administer your account;
- To assist with billing and the collection of accounts;
- To provide you with transaction receipts;
- To help us learn more about you, your financial goals and your preferences;
- To produce aggregate insights or to generate statistics about you, your financial goals and your progress for our internal purposes as well as for commercial purposes such as marketing, selling or otherwise providing such insights and/or statistics to third parties;
- To establish and conduct commercial relationships, including to process purchases or other transactions and to conduct or administer other transactions that you may engage in with us;
- To conduct or administer contests, sweepstakes or other promotions in which you have participated;
- To contact you and to respond to any communications that you may have had with us;
- To troubleshoot problems with the Website;
- To customize your experience or homepage on the Website;
- To develop and manage our business and operations;
- To conduct surveys, research, evaluations and measurement activities;
- To market, sell or otherwise provide products and services of third parties with whom we have a commercial relationship;
- To detect, and to protect the Company and other third parties against, error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activity;
- To audit compliance with our policies and contractual obligations;
- To distribute our newsletters and other informational e-mail communications and other material to individuals on our mail and e-mail lists;
- To obtain your feedback on the Website, our services and products;
- To engage in business transactions, including the purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, securitization or financing involving the Company;
- As permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions;
- To use, maintain, retain, transfer and disclose your personal information if the Company is required to do so by law or legal process or if the Company determines, in its sole discretion, that such action is necessary to protect the rights of the Company, third parties and other users of the Website or to respond to your request for customer service; or
- For any other purpose to which you consent.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
Occasionally, we may disclose your personal information to:
- Third-party service providers or vendors with whom we have a contractual relationship;
- An organization or individual retained by us to collect outstanding debts;
- A financial institution;
- A person who, in our reasonable judgment, is providing or seeking the information as your agent;
- Our personnel or contractors;
- Government authorities, insurers, regulatory agencies, benefits providers, consultants or agents; and
- Any third-party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
In certain situations, we may use, maintain, retain, transfer or disclose personal information without your knowledge or consent (as permitted or required by law). These circumstances may be:
- Where your personal information is publicly available;
- Where collection or use of the personal information is unmistakably in the interests of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely manner;
- To investigate a breach of an agreement or a contravention of law;
- In the event of a corporate change in control of the Company resulting from, for example, a merger, a reorganization, a sale of assets or bankruptcy;
- To comply with a subpoena, warrant, court order or as required or otherwise permitted by law; and
- When information is being collected for the detection and prevention of fraud or for law enforcement.
Retention of Your Personal Information
After we have collected your personal information, we may retain a record of your personal information (including correspondence or comments). We will continue to use, maintain, transfer, disclose or retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and as required or permitted by law. However, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information we hold if it is no longer needed for our business purposes.
To increase our efficiency, we use password-protected electronic file storage on cloud servers based outside of Canada, in countries where laws regarding collection, use, maintenance, transfer and disclosure of personal information may be less stringent than the laws in Canada. We do not assume any responsibility for the privacy practices, policies or actions of such cloud server providers or of any governmental authority of the country in which such cloud servers are based.
Access to, and Correction of, Your Personal Information
Questions or Comments
Wealth Management Canada
120 Adelaide Street West, Suite 2500